This small business project is actually quite overdue. Last summer, Miss O and I researched opening a business. We even bought a domain name, learned about logo design, and a whole bunch of other good businessy things. However, my (awesome) sabbatical in the fall kind of got in the way.
Now, with just a few weeks before our summer kicks into full gear, we are finally living the dream - making pleasing and useful products, selling them to customers (like you!) and learning about small business. I can't think of a better skill set for Miss O to possess than to learn the ins and outs of owning a business.
Our first items for sale are 17 different necklaces. The necklaces are all one-of-a-kind, hand-knotted, and feature the coolest color & bead combinations on the planet. Miss O designed 75% of them as she has a fantastic eye for color and style. I designed or we co-designed the other 25%. I am the master beader. Miss O is the master necklace namer. You can see examples below. Miss O literally has a story to go with each necklace she's designed and named. You can read more when you click on an individual necklace in our shop. Miss O is also our lead shipper who writes all of our hand-written thank you notes. Just wait until you see her old-school cursive handwriting in person!
Want to peek at the necklaces?
This necklace, Cupcake, is one of our color favorites. Miss O wanted to design something with soft and fun colors. I love how this necklace really is simple yet sooooo pretty with all those gorgeous freshwater pearls.
Lilypad, I designed. I enjoy necklaces that incorporate eclectic beads and colors. I feel like this necklace would match just about any outfit for summer and beyond. I also like the uneven spacing between beads. Sometimes we unevenly space and sometimes we don't. It all depends on the design and look we are going for.
Cooper is named after Mini Cooper. I won't give it all away, but you can read more about how Miss O designed and named this necklace in our shop. Cooper's color palette is amazing to me! I have no idea how she came up with this combination, but I love it.
Ok, enough of me talking. I'm sure you are ready to get on over to OJCreates and shop. Just a few quick things....
- Our necklaces make great end-of-the-year gifts for your favorite teacher(s). And really, you can't beat the price for a teacher gift. Plus, each necklace is sooooo pretty.
- If you spend $70 or more, use this code to get free shipping: HIGH5 (which is because Miss O and I are high-fiving ourselves that we are shop owners. I'm thinking we could have used Pinchme or Pinchus as the code, too :)
- I've been wearing necklaces I've made like these for years now. The necklaces are very strong and durable, but I usually don't shower or swim in mine. You could, but I think they will last longer if they stay more dry.
Please go shop, tell a friend, and share this blog post with as many people as you can. We'd love to sell out of our necklaces and create more (or a new product) when we re-open in the fall.
Hurrah for OJCreates and learning new skills,
Jen (and my business partner, Miss O)